Monday, August 23, 2010

Home, Home on the Yummy Range!

One of my favorite kitchen tools is a slow cooker. If you do not own one, I suggest purchasing one.  Buy online, find in a thrift store, or get at the day after thanksgiving sale.  I am sharing with you a slow cooker recipe that can be started 3 hours before you eat....or cooked on the stove for 1 hour. This idea came from one of my readers, thanks Kel.  This meal costs roughly $20.00: So here is the meal:

Cowboy Chicken Chili, Yellow Rice, Southwestern Corn

4 Chicken Quarters $0.69 (If purchased in 10lb Bag, its $6.99)
1 can Corn $0.69
1 can Pinto Beans $0.69
1 Fire Roasted Tomatoes $0.89
1 cup Hickory Flavored BBQ Sauce $0.88
1 can Chicken Broth $2.99

Place the chicken in Crockpot, season with salt and pepper on both sides.  Place the rest of the contents into the crockpot. Turn on high allow to cook for 2-3 hours. If you need more time, place the crockpot on Medium for 4-5 hours and Low from 6-8 hours. The meat should be falling from the bone tender. For a vegetarian option leave out the chicken  and swap out the chicken broth for vegerable broth.

Yellow Rice $1.50
Follow the directions on the package.

Jiffy Cornbread $0.33
Eggs $1.38
Oil $1.89
Milk $0.99 (I buy the pint of milk)
Follow the directions on the packageWhen in a hurry I make Jiffy cornbread. Not only is it quick and easy but it is good!

You may wanna purchase sour cream and shredded cheese as toppings for the chili. Give this recipe a try and let me know if you like it.  I already know I do, and if you don't have a crock pot...BUY ONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment